Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"He ain't human, he's my doggie"....


Those of you who know me well, know that I have a 6 1/2 year old toy poodle named Charlie.  He is a a wonderful little dog and he is my faithful companion.  Nobody, sadly, gets as excited to see me when I am gone, than Charlie.  He jumps up and down and runs circles until I pick him up and then he gives me little doggie kisses.

He came to us after our first toy poodle, Punkin'  got run over by a neighbor. We only had him for a month and he was a rescue dog that we got at the Humane Society in Muscatine.  We really didn't get a good chance to show him how much we loved him.

I was so distraught about this, I searched for another one at all the local shelters and came up with nothing.  Then I saw a website for Daisy Hill Farms.  They are a poodle breeder from North Dakota.  Incidentally, Daisy Hill is the name of the place that Snoopy from Charlie Brown came from.

The owner of the farm was so nice to me and she worked it out so I could get one of their puppies.  We named him Charlie for a number of reasons:
  • my grandpa's name was Charles and when I was growing up and my uncle lived at home, they had a black poodle named Puff that I adored.
  • Charlie is the name of the head dog from All Dogs go to Heaven, which we had to watch over and over because of Punkin' dying and the kids at 2 1/2 and 5 1/2 needed that movie to help them get over the situation.
  • And lastly, because of the name of the farm where the dog came from having an association with Charlie Brown
So by now you are wondering what the point of this post is, right?  O.k.  the point is that I had a bad day today because my dog had a seizure and it scared me.  Now, this time last year Griffin was diagnosed with seizures and I knew from going through that with him, what was going on with Charlie. Nonetheless, it was still very scary.  The timing wasn't so good either.  It was 3:15 and I was needing to go to the Middle School to pick up Griffin from band lessons.  By the time I grabbed my coat and keys the seizure was over. I scooped Charlie up and ran out the door to pick Griffin up.

We took him to the vet and the Dr. said he was looking good and wouldn't have known anything was wrong with him if I hadn't seen it. In other words, he seemed normal.  But we put him on medicine for a few days and then we will run blood tests to see what that tells us.

My problem is that my dog is my dog first and then Griffin's.  He just loves me and the kids but my husband, growing up on a farm, just doesn't see animals as pets for some reason.  He has never liked my dog and I don't have the slightest idea why.  NOTHING upsets me more about my hubby than this attitude he has.  He would let the dog die before giving me the money to do something medical for the dog. Grrrrrrrrr, I say.

So like a mother when her baby is sick, I can't do enough for my little fur ball.  I don't want to leave him because I think something might happen to him.  I am going to go now and try to figure out how to give him his medicine.  Please pray that this dog has nothing serious, because I know how I will feel, but the kids would really take it hard.

No comments: