Friday, October 23, 2009

Cold or Flu? Or Needing Time with Mom? Whatever the Case, She's My Baby!

For our family, cold and flu season has arrived.  For the last 5 days I have spent nearly 24 hours a day with the youngest of my twin girls, Gillian.  It actually started last Thursday when she had a tummy ache and then she was better the next day and the next.

Sunday morning came and she had a sore throat.  As the day went she had a cough, a very dry one, that just got worse and worse.  Her and I stayed home all day and watched t.v. in my bed.  Her fever ran at 102.9...no school on Monday.  We wanted her to stay away from her sister, who had no symptoms at all so we moved her to the family room and pulled out the hide-a-bed.  She wanted me to stay with her so I stayed up next to her in the lazy boy.

We also had to keep her away from her brother, because he has Muscular Dystrophy and things like fever and bad coughs, can lead to pneumonia for him very swiftly.

Then came Monday..... repeat, no fever.......but this time we were in the family room all day, and I took a nap in my room for a little bit after the other 2 went to school.

Tuesday...repeat....Weds...repeat... Thursday... repeat....

Welcome to Friday morning and day 5 of "bonding with a sick child".  I am about to get the others up for school to catch the 7:20 bus.  Gillian is stirring, the dog is sleeping, curled up by her legs.  She will be home one more day.... she still has that cough and is just very weak.... she might have gone back today on her own thinking until her sister told her that she was going to miss the flu shots at school..... boy that sent her back to bed in a hurry!  But, I had already decided she was staying home, she just didn't know it at the time.

During our time together this week we have watched her favorite shows, made scrapbook layouts and watched some of my old Disney favorite movies like "That Darn Cat."  One day she even made and gave me a card telling me how much she loved me and that she couldn't do anything without me.  And if that isn't enough, she told me I was the best mom in the world!

I don't know how the rest of the day will go.  I do know that I will be taking a nap because I have been up all night again.  She sleeps and she wakes up and sits up in bed and looks around to make sure I am still there.

Of course I hope that she will feel better soon and get back to school and our routine.  But for now, I will enjoy and cherish the time we are spending together.  I especially love the part where she "needs" me.  As we approach the age of 9, she is showing signs of independence and her admitting that she needs me, will more than likely fade a bit.


For all practical purposes, she is "my baby".  The youngest twin and #3 of 3 kids.

No comments: